Sunday, January 25, 2009

Knitting Math for Dummies

I finished the body of Wisteria last night! It's totally wearable. Now the only chance I have of screwing it up is the sleeves. Much less of a percentage than the whole sweater, and I plan on upping my odds, but having my friend Terry show me how to do two sleeves at the same time on two circs! I'm super hyped about the whole thing.


Also still cranking away on the second Rivendell sock, although I will admit I've taken a break of sorts. I was sucked in by all the spring color on the cover of Creative Knitting. My friend Bonnie is getting married and I thought I could whip up a spring afghan in a couple of weeks with big needles and big yarn right? A couple of problems . . .
1st, once I started knitting? Not so much the spring colors I was going for, more like baby colors. Oh well, I figured they would be good colors for baby Jack, Spinny's grandchild to be, so I continued on.

Next, the f"in pattern sucks. I'm sure it contains mistakes. I also read part of it wrong, but it still has mistakes. Like in one part it says "*k1, inc, repeat from star to end, k1 (202 stitches)". Here's the problem, you start with 135 stitches, if you increase after every stitch, don't you end up with more than 202? I did! Now watch, one of you math whizzes out there will show me up and tell me somehow that works out. But I don't think so.

So I've resorted to spinning to quiet the nervous breakdown this almost caused me. This batch of fluff is never ending. It's spinning up pretty, but it's essentially the same fluff I've spun up before and this pretty blue fluff is waiting for me underneath the white fluff. But I only have one spindle, therefore I must finish the white fluff first.

Well we are soon going to cruise around the greater North East Michigan area, looking for houses. It's what we do for fun on the weekend. Really, what I want to do is see Slumdog Millionaire and Milk but alas, these films are not showing in Alpena. Instead my options include My Bloody Valentine and Bride Wars. Mmm, not so much. I think I'll take my knitting with me in the car.

1 comment:

Holly Bee said...

Ah, yes, you too are a movie snob!! I said a hearty no to Hotel for Dogs today. I WANT SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE!!

Numbers and knitting are painful. I went through the same thing recently and reknit something twice to make sure I was counting/knitting correctly.

I think you may need to invest in another spindle...for sanity's sake.