Saturday, May 30, 2009

Restless Saturday

I have great plans for today. Finish my Argosy blanket, maybe spin and start an Argosy scarf with the spun yarn (can you tell I really dig this pattern?) Plug in the camera battery charger so I can take pictures, take a road trip to Petoskey to check out the cool book store that's supposed to be there.

Unfortunately I probably won't do any of those things. My house is dirty. Or rather, the house I live in, which people get to tromp through and judge on 24 hours or less notice, is dirty. And I signed some damn piece of paper which says I will keep it clean or someone will get litigious with me.

Someone complained about the yard not looking spiffy. Well. When we moved in there WAS NO YARD. There is a small triangle of dirt in the back, which changes with the seasons. Fall, it's rotting leaves, winter is snow, spring and summer are alternately mud, weeds, and dry dirt. Sometimes we'll hack down the weeds, but honestly it looks better with the weeds. We hacked them down yesterday. If no one buys this house, it will not be because of our not taking care of the yard, as I mentioned, there is NO YARD.

Someone also mentioned that the carpet is dirty. It's cream. Someone put it in, someone who only had a small baby and a wife living on the carpet. I have 3 children, in varying sizes, with varying degrees of dirt on them at all times. Cream (white) carpet is bound to get dirty. Not trashed mind you, just a little dull.

So we clean the carpet. No biggie. Just a time sucker. But did I mention where I live it is only Spring and Summer for an infinitesmiley (however you spell it) small amount of time? It's spring now, and I'm stuck inside cleaning. I can't even get over to my new house to plant or mow or weed the garden which also has a devestatingly short lifespan, because I don't technically own it yet!

So I want out. I want out of Alpena. Not forever, just for a few days! Heck I would take a few hours, but it takes a few hours to get ANYWHERE from here! I am a city girl! I miss the mall! I miss bookstores! I miss restaurants! I miss cars going by! I miss kids playing pick up ball outside my house! I miss the mail man walking by! (He drives by in a regular car here!) I miss my family who almost all still live in the city like normal city raised people do! I miss my neighbors and going down to visit them and gossiping about all the people I've known for 12 years because that's how long I lived in my home. I miss going to my kids school and finidng someone to talk to before a program starts.

I know some of that isn't only found in the city. I guess what I really miss is home. This isn't my home. I don't know if it will ever be. I miss home.

I'm sorry for being maudlin. I'm going to go plug in my camera right now, then go enjoy the sunshine, I don't care if I get sued for not doing my laundry!

No comments: