Friday, January 11, 2008

Oh the tangled web we weave . . .


See that ? That is a bag full of wooly goodness from Ewe-nique Knits. It is a secret bag, paid for with a check that shall not be discovered until someone checks the bank statement. Thus the woven web of the title.

The tangled part comes in when you discover what the yarn is to become. The tangled yoke cardigan from the Fall 2007 issue of Interweave Knits. Here's a picture.


I realize that this picture totally sucks. Can't figure out how to turn off the flash. I tried to provide a link, but apparently I suck at that too. So, if you want to see how cute it is and you haven't already, google it. It's all over the knitting web.


I'm so excited about this one because I went to the store looking for the called for Rowan Felted Tweed. I couldn't find it. So I just started looking for something that came close to the called for gauge of 4" = 24 stitches with size 6 needles. Or so I thought, I wasn't 100% sure. This yarn, Elisabeth Lavold Silky Wool says that with size 6 needles you should get 22 stitches to four inches. Close enough that I figured I could change needle sizes and make it work.

At the counter there was a lady buying the same yarn for a sweater and checking her swatch for gauge. Hers was 18 stitches to four inches, doubled on size 8's. I got nervous. But I had 10 skeins and the yarn was pretty so if it didn't work for this sweater, I'm sure I could make it work for something. (I truly abhor the math involved in knitting, just let me say. )

So I got home, jumped on ravelry and lo and behold, lots of people have made this sweater with the same yarn! Yeah! And they all made smaller sizes with about 6 or 7 skeins, so I think it will work! I want so badly to cast on, but I've got to hide the yarn for a few days. You know, so when it shows up and the husband asks "Is that new?" I can say, "What this? No I've had this for a while." So I'm going to finish up my scarf before I even swatch. Although I have wound up a skein of the yarn. I couldn't resist totally. That would just be wrong. The yarn would feel unloved and that is so far from the truth.

Have a good weekend everyone :)

No comments: